We all have them, we all use them… hack your computer
mouse and win a prize! The catch is… weird ideas… crazy
metaphors… strange hybrids!
Sankt Interface (Culture) 2017 proudly presents the Third Computer Mouse & Keyboard Award
Audimax – Kunstuniversität Linz
6th December 2017 – 18h
Computer mice are slowly abandoning our desktops. Only a few disciplines still make use of a physical computer mouse to interact… Do you remember where do you have that old mouse at home?
We still believe in the importance of computer mice. Especially within the field of media art it can definitely help us to communicate the relevance of interface art and its aesthetics. We believe in the possibility of converting computer mice into aesthetic artifacts.
That´s the reason for this award. We cordially invite you to contribute to this Computer Mouse Award with your designs!
Categories & Awards
1.Award to the weirdest and most engaging computer mouse or keyboard
Show us the computer mouse & keyboard artist inside you. Any format, material, scale, shape… anything. We want to see how far you can go!
≈ ≈ Prize: A Raspberry Pi 3!
2. Award to the fastest clicking computer mouse or keyboard
How fast can your interface click or send letters? Train yourself with this open source counter application. Bring your computer and participate in the infamous 15 seconds clicking race!
≈ ≈ Prize: A Teensy 3.2!
3. Award to the best flying mouse or keyboard
Of course our inspiration was the quadcopter cat! We want to see your computer mouse flying. The award goes to the coolest and full functional flying interface.
≈ ≈ Prize: A FLORA Wearable Computing Module!
Last edition (2016 & 2015) examples
Rules, Requirements & Conditions
- Your computer mouse or keyboard can have any size and aspect, but it must be fully functional. That means for mouse = left click and navigate like any other normal mouse; for keyboards transmitting characters to the computer. We will check it during the contest and presentation. Only fully functional designs can be awarded.
—- What does “fully functional” technically mean? It means having “left click” and being able to move the cursor on the screen for a mouse; and receiving characters in the case of a keyboard . These were Engelbart’s original mouse features at the Mother of all demos.
—- Does it need to be a physical device? No, although probably you won’t win at the flying category. It can also be a piece of software.
2. Only affiliates to the Kunstuniversität Linz can participate: students, teachers, assistants, etc… from all departments!
3. If you want to participate you and your mouse will have to be present at our “Gala”, on 6th December at 18h.
4. You will be asked by the jury to explain your concept and how it works.
How to participate
1. Build your favourite computer mouse monster
2. Send an email to Enrique.Tomas@ufg.at and firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, a short description of your project, a photo and specify the category (o categories) you want to participate. By 04/12/2017 23:59h Austrian time. We will answer you with more details.
3. Bring your computer mouse or keyboard to the contest venue (we have to find a space for you):
Audimax, 6th December, from 11h to 17h
4. Your project will be presented and tested in Dokapi around 20:30h. Our jury will deliberate and say… the winner is….
This award is part of our Sankt Interface Day.